Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Italian Experience

Hi,
In the Preface of my book, Metanioa, Renovating the House of Your Spirit, I relate a little of my experience while living in Italy. I chose Italy more from inspiration than design. Having decided that was where I wanted to go 'providence moved too', and I was led to Walter and Larissa Vecchio from Brisbane. Walter and Larissa own and rent out their apartment in Monte San Biagio, Latina Italy.
Monte San Biagio a 'castello' village that was situated on the historical border between the Papal state and the Spanish territories, being in the latter. My partner, Anna Schaumkel and I lived in the village for just over 8 months, during which time we developed special friendships and became completely immersed in the food, language and culture. The people, because of their generosity and hospitality, made the whole experience as fantastic as it was. We lived in a small two-bedroom apartment that included all of the creature comforts of home, a toilet, shower, kitchen etc. It may strange that I make particular reference to that, but in some parts of the country any of those features could be missing. 
I was totally committed to completing the first draft of the book while living there. The whole reason for being there was to be removed from my comfort zone and conditioned life so as to be more awake and present while I was writing. Each day I would arise at about 6am and would write until 3ish, only stopping for breakfast and lunch. I never had writers block and mostly was disappointed when I had to stop each day. Generally I wrote 6 days a week, but on rare occassions we would take a 'tiki tour' of our region on our 250 Honda Scooter, taking two or three days off. As Monte San Biagio was on the train line between Rome and Naples, for 12 euro round trip and only an hours travel time, we often travelled to both destinations taking in as much history and culture as time and financial constraints would allow.
In the book I make reference to a trip that we made to Monte Cassino. Walter Vecchio came from Cassino and told me that at the monastry, some of the church services incorporated Gregorian Chanting. I couldn't get there fast enough! But, I got more than I bargained for. I describe in the book an experience of familiarity and emotional connection to both the venue and the experience that defies logic. Tears streamed down my face as I sat in the bascillica listening to the chanting. I felt like I had come home, or returned to a place or an experience that was profundly familiar. It was during this moment of awareness that I 'heard' a voice that explained how I had returned to compete something started previously and never finished, and this was my time to complete it. Being in the first two weeks of our experience in Italy, it became the fuel that sustained my focus during the three years that it took me to complete the writing of the book.
As I read back over what I've published, I sometimes wonder where the words came from. It's as if they came through me and not from me, because I read the words and find it hard to imagine that I had the ability to come up with what was there. Even the referencing, I know I have been a student of the scriptures for many years, but I look at some of the scriptural references and wonder how I found them, especially when they aren't particularly familiar. Historical references made their way to my drafts, presenting themselves to my awareness for the very first time, and being just perfect for what I was writing at the time.
As Anna and I travelled, we came across many historical artifacts and art that completely aligned with the things I was writing about. As I continue with my book blog, I will add in some of the photos and stories of my Italian experience that align with what was being written in the book.
When I arrived in Italy, I felt like I had come home, and as far as I know, and our family tree has been researched back several hundred years, there isn't a drop of Italian blood in the family line. I look forward to the time that I can return back to Monte San Biagio and Italy.

This is the view from the balcony of the second cloister at the Abbey of Monte Cassino.


         








This is the village of Monte San Biagio.
Our apartment is just to the left of the church.








                      

Entrance to our second floor apartment in Monte San Biagio.













Where the first draft of the book was written, on a makeshift desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment