Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did you say God?

It is funny that one little word can cause so much controversy. I begin chapter one in my book explaining why I have to use the word God, and go on to describe my take on God in the context of the book. If you have not read the book, the reason I have to include God in the discussion is because the etymology for the word health implies the need to be ‘at one with the sacred and the holiness of life’. Conveniently we have come up with a word that embraces that and that word is God. Unfortunately, so much pain has been inflicted on humanity in the name of God that just hearing the word causes some people to become emotionally triggered. So much so, they are extremely resistant to participating in anything that involves God.


Even to this very day, much pain and suffering is being inflicted throughout the world in the name of God, but I would argue that equally, there are some absolutely amazing and wonderful things throughout the world also being accomplished in the name of God. Unfortunately, emotional scars are not easy to erase, and even in our relatively peaceful Australia, which is predominately Christian, there are too many people carrying the pain of physical, emotional and sexual abuse, all at the hands of what were thought to be God’s appointed representatives.

Part of the objective of this book is to expand people’s ideas about the nature of God and identify ways that would allow them to embrace a new expression of being in relationship with God. This is important, because the model of healing promoted by the book requires us to experience divine relationship to be healed. Dissatisfaction with the Christian God has seen many people turn towards Eastern religions. It seems that there is safety in a non-Christian God. Revealing the primitive teachings of Jesus, that is, the teachings of Jesus before they became distorted by the early Christians, is a key objective on the book. In doing so, a new idea of God emerges, which embraces both masculine and feminine elements, and particularly gives greater emphasis to the divine feminine. If you can reinvent you idea about God, you will find that deep mystery is fundamental to the teachings of the primitive Jesus, and a new face of God emerges which looks nothing like the one painted by contemporary Christianity.

A recent reader of my book had this to say …”I read your book over the Christmas break and it has opened a whole new world to me. I guess that I had developed an interest in Eastern spirituality partly due to my ignorance of and frustration at the way Christianity had been delivered to me in my youth. However reading your book is fascinating as I think it made me realise that there is so much that is ingrained in our cultural upbringing that is related to Christianity and that while we try and understand the eastern approaches to higher levels of understanding, there is often something missing and I think that could be the cultural context of our upbringing.”

You would be doing yourself a disservice if you refused to read my book because it was, in part, about God.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete